Your MGA Board hosted its 2021 annual kick-off meeting on Wednesday May 26. The following are highlights for those who could not attend:
- Bill Ross announced the MGA membership is at an all time high of 313 members (91% of total male golf members)
- Takeaways from the early season MGA survey are:
- More social related events in addition to our monthly Friday mixers.
- More interesting men’s day games and increasing payouts – we worked with Monte to have individual gross/net and team games; 100% of entry fees go to payouts; started a golfer-of-the-year points race with a focus on increasing participation
- Monte Hanson discussed upcoming events and informed us that the Match Play and The Egan are full; the Firecracker Open on July 4 is still taking signups
Representing the BGC Handicap Committee, Larry Patterson talked about a number of unposted scores by our members in March, April and May. He discussed the steps that will be taken starting with email reminders up to assigning zero handicaps for events. Even if you are just a social golfer, if you have a handicap index you need to post your score. If you are playing a practice round or cannot complete at least seven holes, tell the golf shop before you leave that day or leave a note to the golf shop when you register for a tee time on ForeTees.
Lastly, there has been some slow play on Thursdays with some of our foursomes. The club guideline is to complete each nine holes in under 2 hours 5 minutes. That is the maximum time not the target time. Try to keep pace with the group in front of you even if they are a threesome or twosome. An easy way to do this without causing pressure on your group is to have two players putt out and move to the next tee. This should be a standard practice even if you are playing at a 4-hour pace and there is an open hole in front of you.
Have a great June with warmer weather and hopefully less wind.