February is a funny, yet predictable month, weather-wise. It seems like we always get a week or two of spring-like weather with temperatures in the mid 50s. Instead of us continuing to press our nose against cold windows, Mother Nature has graciously offered us the opportunity to get our clubs out of storage and play golf. Many of you have taken advantage of this break in our normal winter routine knowing full well that she can take this moderate weather pattern away as quickly as she gave it to us.
Play on gentlemen — one day is golden, the next not so much. Let’s hope for some gold for our season opener, The Bend Masters. The Bend Masters (full details) will be Saturday, April 11. It is a 4-person A/B/C/D best ball (both low net and low gross) 18-hole tournament. The cost is $50 per person or $200 per team. Register for this event directly or in the golf shop. The shop staff will make up the foursomes based upon each participant’s established handicap. Cutoff for final entry is 5 p.m. Thursday, April 9.
On Friday, April 10, we have two special events:
- Par 3, 2-Man Scramble Contest, 3 p.m.
- Announcement of Par 3 winners, the announcement of 4-Person A/B/C/D teams and starting hole assignments for our shotgun start, and draw for the Masters pro for your team. Food and beverages will be provided.
The Friday evening festivities for this event are always well received and promotes camaraderie and a competitive spirit among participants.
The MGA kickoff meeting for the year will take place Saturday, April 11 at 8:30 a.m. To entice you to attend, a delectable breakfast will be served. The meeting will include:
- An overview of the 2020 MGA budget
- New initiatives the board is pursuing
- 2020 MGA tournament schedule
- An open forum for discussion and Q&A.
After the breakfast meeting, there will be time to hit the range before the 11 a.m. shotgun start. Your board wants to extend their appreciation for your support to approve our outdated bylaws. Our new bylaws provide further definition to the roles and responsibilities of the board elected officers, and also reflects the MGA committee restructure with the deactivation of the tournament committee, yet retains the two remaining committees, each led by a chairman with volunteer members. These two committees are:
- Hospitality/Orientation Committee – Bill Ross, Chairman. Committee member: Rick Kangail
- Communications/Information – Cody Pinkston – Chairman. Committee member: vacant
I can’t tell you how much we appreciate the MGA members who volunteered to participate on these committees. I want to extend my deep gratitude to Bill Ross and Rick Kangail who has aggressively taken on the task to welcome new golf members to our MGA. Our goal is to we meet with new male golf members within 7-10 days after they join.
We also want to welcome Larry Patterson as our newest MGA board member. With Kai Kuwata’s resignation from the board, Larry graciously accepted our invitation to join our board as vice president. Thank you, Larry.
The last item I want to discuss is the importance of our members becoming knowledgeable and having an understanding of the new World Handicap System (WHS) policy once it goes into effect March 2020. Larry Patterson, our MGA board VP, also serves as our club handicap chairman and has worked tirelessly to gather and publish WHS information to our MGA and LGA golfing audience. Since its inception, the development of the WHS has focused on three key goals:
- Encourage as many golfers as possible to obtain and maintain a handicap index;
- Enable golfers of differing abilities, genders and nationalities to transport their handicap index to any course around the world and compete on a fair basis; and
- Indicate with sufficient accuracy the score a golfer is reasonably capable of achieving on any course around the world, playing under normal conditions.
Larry will provide more information on this critically important policy in the months to come.
If you have concerns, questions, or items you would like your board to address, please forward them to our Secretary, Doug Rude, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until next month,
President, BGC Men’s Golf Association