New rules! Get ready for the new rules of golf coming this January. This is the most comprehensive change to the rules ever. The USGA and the R&A got together as part of their 4-year cycle and made the rule book smaller, simplifying the process, streamlining penalties and removing obstacles to having fun playing golf. There are many changes but following are a few of the bigger changes.
- Time to search for a ball will change from 5 minutes to 3 minutes.
- New drop procedure: you can now drop from knee level instead from shoulder height.
- You can now take an unplayable lie from the bunker and drop the ball outside the bunker with a 2 stroke penalty.
- Double hits will longer be penalized: it won’t be a stroke with a penalty stroke added; rather, only a single shot will be counted.
- Loose impediments can be moved in bunkers and hazards.
- No penalty for hitting the flag stick when putting on the green.
- Spike marks and all other green damage can be repaired.
- Touching the ground in a hazard will not be a penalty.
- No penalty for your golf ball hitting you, your caddy or your equipment.
- No penalty for accidently touching or moving a ball while searching for it, simply replace it to its original position.
These are just a few of the changes, take some time to read over the new rules so you are ready for all the changes next year and please don’t hesitate to ask us in the golf shop if you have any question.
With the weather changing and the days getting shorter and colder we will be going to shot gun starts starting the week of Nov. 12. Mondays will be noon shotguns while Tuesday through Sunday will be 11 a.m. shotguns.
Finally, please mark your calendar for Nov. 30 for the holiday party. We will have new merchandise and great deals as well as some great food and drink. We look forward to seeing you there and thank you very much for a great golf season.